How to Change Social Security Direct Deposit by Mail? 

To make changes to your direct deposit with your social security program, you should visit “my Social Security.” On the right side of the screen, you will see a navigation menu. Click on “Benefits & Payment Details,” and then click on “update direct deposit.” This page will prompt you to indicate which bank account you want to use for receiving payments.

(Looking for statement print and mail services? Contact us today!)

Update your bank account information 

Direct deposit is a convenient way for the Social Security Administration to deposit your benefits directly into your bank account. Many employers already use this service to pay their employees, so it’s no surprise that more people are signing up for this service. In 2011, the Social Security Administration made social security direct deposit mandatory for people who receive Supplemental Security Income or Social Security Disability Insurance. The new mandate ensures that people who receive benefits will receive payments electronically. 

If you’re applying for benefits, you should mention your intention to sign up for a direct deposit. To apply for direct deposit, you should bring your checkbook and bank account information with you. 

Notify SSA of a change in your bank account information 

If you are receiving social security benefits, you should notify the Social Security Administration of a change in your bank account information as soon as possible. It is important to note that failure to do so may result in a delay in receiving your benefits or even the discontinuation of your benefits. The deadline to report a change in your bank account information is 15 days before the change is effective. 

When making changes to your bank account information, make sure to keep all necessary information handy. This includes your Social Security number. In addition, you must make sure that you are eligible for a change before you can make the change. If you do not live in the United States, you can also call a Social Security helpline to report a change in your account information. If you are not comfortable typing or don’t want to go through the process alone, you can also ask a trusted friend or family member to help you. 

Notify SSA of changes in your address 

When you move, you may be concerned about whether your Social Security payments will continue to arrive. If so, you need to notify your Social Security office of the change of address. This is a requirement for people who receive Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income, and Medicare. 

If you are receiving your check by mail, you must report any changes in your address within 10 days. The time frame varies depending on your location. But you should plan: it may take up to 10 business days for the checks to arrive at your new address. 

To make the changes, you must fill out the Change of Status form and forward it to the appropriate department representative. The representative can help you learn about the department’s policies on this process.